-->

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

How I Got To Where I Am: A Reflection

Chelsey Hann
Intro to Teaching
Why to Teach: A Reflection

I am going to be completely honest: my introduction to teaching class almost broke me of my will to live. There were a lot of times throughout this semester that I almost thought about  dropping the class, or changing my major, or giving up on life altogether. It took me the majority of the semester before I realized that the attempt to break me of my will to teach was intentional, and now nearing the end of the year, I can say with complete confidence that I still want to be an educator.

I'm positive that there will be hard times, and I am certain that there will be children that make me want to scream and cry. I am equally as confident that I can change the lives of the children that I teach; I am ready to be the inspiration to these children that they can carry with them past their years in school, and throughout life.

It was a surprise to me to find out that I would be able to teach any level with the same level of competence. For the majority of my life I was sure that I would only want to teach elementary school, and then, only recently, did I decide to do special education. Never did it occur to me to want to teach general education at the middle or high school levels. After my observations though, I realized that I would not mind it too much. I still think that what I can provide to an eight year old would be more worthwhile than what I could provide to an eighteen year old, and I enjoy younger children more - but I do not dislike the older students and in fact, had a lot of fun being around them.

This semester in school made me face the fact that there will be hard times and that I will face situations that I have never had to face before, but it also confirmed that this is what I want to be doing with my life; I want to teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment